Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hipstamatic - a retro camera for the future

One of my favorite iPhone apps is Hipstamatic - an app that turns your decent iPhone camera into a retro camera with tons of options. Instead of using the standard photo application that comes on the iPhone, I find myself starting up Hipstamatic more often than not to shoot photos on a whim. The app aims to return to a more analog world of photography where things are unpredictable and often come out much different than you would expect.


On startup, you see the "front" of your Hipstamatic camera, showing you which lens you currently have equipped. The "camera" has a look of a plastic toy camera of the past. If you swipe left and right on the lens, you can switch between a bunch of cool, retro lenses that all produce different effects. You can also switch the type of film you are using (producing different borders on your pictures) and you can change the camera body to other plastic-looking colors.


When you flip to the back, you see a small viewfinder, a flash charge-up slider, and a big yellow button to take photos. With all the options (and additional items available for purchase), Hipstamatic gives users so many ways to express themselves through photos. The countless number of combinations of lenses, film, and flashes will let users explore the app to find the type of photo that they truly love. Personally, I have found a setting that I use as a default, and I think it makes all my photos look much better than standard ones. What follows is four of the images I have taken with Hipstamatic.




What gives this app the edge is it's ease of use and its customizability. I bought the app for under two dollars and have so many options to make my photos more artsy and retro. What's more, when you take a photo, the app adds the filter right away so you don't have to worry about choosing that after. You can snap away a bunch of photos in a row and not be burdened with filter selection like competing apps have.

When compared to the standard iPhone application, this app creates photos that are much more appealing to the eye. Even compared to nicer digital cameras and DSLRs, Hipstamatic turns your iPhone into something that creates art - not just photographs. I love using the app and having great photos right away. With a nicer digital camera, I could take photos then edit them and apply filters with my computer, but that requires so much more time and effort. With mobile photography, I can take these photos then immediately share them via email, Facebook, Twitter, and other options. Hipstamatic is a quirky app that transforms your iPhone into a retro photo shooting machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment