Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Color Splash - iPhone finger painting

Color Splash lets you convert your photos to black and white while keeping objects you choose in color. This gives your photos a dramatic look and creates striking images by drawing the viewers' attention to the colored areas. A nice contrast is made by selectively turning your image into some colored areas and other black and white areas. This app takes longer to learn and master than others, but it lets you make amazing photographs right on your phone. I put in a little time to figure things out and can now quickly turn a photo around with this app. Here are images that I have created using Color Splash.



The app uses the touchscreen in a very intuitive way - you use your finger to paint over parts that you want to keep in color. The method reminds me of the finger painting I did as a young child. While this may seem like a crude method, you can zoom in on photos and get details down to the pixel if you want to.



What's more, Color Splash makes it easy to differentiate between what you have painted with your finger and what you have left black and white by changing the colored portion red. This helps with dark photos that contain color but don't contain sharp edges. The app also lets you have multiple projects going at the same time, so you can work on a photo then come back to it later to touch it up at your convenience. Most other mobile photography apps only allow you to work with one photo at a time, so Color Splash gets this part right and means you can work at your own speed, whether or not you'll finish in the time you have available.

When I first got my iPhone, Color Splash caught my eye with the sample images that it was marketed with, and it hasn't disappointed me at all. I love showing friends the photos that I create, and they are always amazed that I produce them solely on my phone. Like FX Photo Studio, this app always creative photographers to do so much on the go without the need for a computer. Of course, professional photo editing programs have the ability to do what app more, but I doubt any of them are as simple, convenient, and intuitive as Color Splash.

No comments:

Post a Comment