Sunday, February 13, 2011

iGaming

iPhone gaming (let’s call it iGaming) is not your typical gaming. When I talk about iGaming, I mean the new age of video games. These are the ones that are on your iPod, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android, or other mobile device. For traditional video games, you need an entertainment center with a television, speakers, gaming console, controllers, cables, and a couch. There is a big capital investment with an Xbox or a Playstation - I can admit that I spent over $1000 on a video game system when I was younger. For iGaming, all you need is what’s already in your pocket.


Accessibility differentiates iGames with more traditional video games. There are two levels of accessibility that I am referring to here. First, accessing the required hardware to play iGames is much easier than playing on a console or computer. Everyone and their mother has an iPod or a smartphone. Once you have one, all you need to do to play a game is open the App Store and hit download. Many of the games are free, and the other ones usually cost 99 cents.

Why do I game? It’s in my pocket! When I have nothing to do, I instinctively reach for my iPhone. I’ll check my email, messages, and Facebook, but flicking through my home screens, I come to my gaming page. This page contains nothing but games. I need folders to fit all of them on one page. Looking at the bottom, I even have two different versions of Angry Birds. (I promise I am not an addict). It’s so easy play a few levels of Angry Birds while sitting on a bus. Or, when I’m bored in lecture, I can whip out my iPhone and choose from almost twenty games to play instantly. Also important, I can play games whether I have two hours or two minutes. Most iGames are not as involved as traditional video games, and you can quickly put them down then pick them back up again whenever you need.


Modern gaming takes advantage of social networking to draw players in. One feature that Apple implemented on its iDevices is Game Center, which tracks your progress in games and compares it to that of your friends and the public. Adding a social aspect to iGaming, the ability to connect with your friends and compete works well. During winter break, my friend and I competed for the top score in Angry Birds. It was rewarding to check my iPhone and see that I edged out my friend’s score - at least for the time being. (He has passed me since then). What I don't understand - how does someone have 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 points?
iGaming has a different purpose from “addicting” games like WoW or Starcraft. I am not the type of person who plays on my iPhone all the time. Many apps go untouched for multiple weeks. I iGame because it is a way of passing time. Sure, I like sitting around and enjoying nature. But when it comes down to it, if I have a few minutes to spare, I’ll fling some birds at fat green pigs. Why do you game?

5 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you. I think gaming across the board serves the same purpose: time wastage. Gaming is then split into two types, the ones that you find time to play, and the ones you play when you have too much time.

    Every console has games that fall into these categories. The Xbox has quick games too (See Xbox arcade, and any racing game, ever). The iPhone has games with intensive story lines and amazing graphics (Infinity Blade, Rage HD, Mist). Its as easy to get addicted to these as it is to Xbox games.

    If you don't believe me, ask the guy with the high school in the game you were playing. Zdoc is most probably addicted to that game.

    -Bhavik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bhavik on this one. Games are "addicting" because they have a way of soaking up your time without you realizing where it went. Although iGaming has different appeals than MMORPGs, it still keeps bringing you back to your phone or iPod to play more.

    - K Chiang

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Thai here. iPhone games are not addicting like WoW or Starcraft. Some people are seriously addicted to WoW and go to rehabilitation centers (I think there are a video game rehab centers in Korea). No one is seriously addicted to Angry Birds. It's fun and we can play it for a while, but it doesn't consume people like WoW or other games do. iPhone games pass the time and we can get hooked on a game, but it's fairly innocent. iPhone games are not as serious as games on computers or video game consoles. The games are played on a tiny screen, and it's a touch screen. You don't have RB, LB, X, Y, A, B, two thumbsticks that can click, and two triggers. Sure we can go through a phase of iPhone games and, as Thai mentioned, go weeks without touching certain apps, but being addicted to an iPhone game is very different than being addicted to a traditional video game. -- George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the fact that I don't have an iPhone, I spend a lot of time playing useless phone games (Sudoku, mostly, for those of you who don't know me). However, I see two parts to games in general. There definitely are ones that you spend hours on end playing and get easily addicted to, but there are also simple ones where you can pick up and put down in no time. The one thing in common is that games waste time. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it's true. I love gaming and all, but it too often keeps me from being productive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the biggest issue with iPhone gaming is that I don't want to chew up all my battery life if I'm out and about. And, if I'm near a more 'traditional' computer or my iPad, then I will waste too much time. But, if I spent time on games on my phone, I would not have time to waste on phone calls. Or texting.

    ReplyDelete